Wednesday, December 4, 2013

 Back to the Long Rod Norton motor . Same as all engine rebuilds you must clean those cases . I also deburred all holes and stoned the surfaces flat . Checked all thread condition . This should be done prior to reassembling the engine .



  The crank was taken apart to clean the sludge trap . While apart stone down the surfaces for a nice flat contact when going back together . This is a good time to polish the crank if you are going to that level . After reassembly make sure it is true . If there is a burr or deri on the surface between the flywheel and journal the main shafts will not be inline . I also check to make sure the balance factor is correct .
 

 


 Install new plain bearings and check for clearance . I measure the rod bolts before installing them . then make sure they stretch the correct amount . Proper bolt stretch makes the tensile strength correct . I always use new rod bolts from a known manufacturer . I have heard lots of guys say they reuse the bolts but I don't trust that and it is a cheap insurance practice .



C
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment